A Bit of Context…
On the 25th of September 2015, world leaders from 193 countries came together at the United Nations and adopted a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (the “Global Goals”) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change by 2030. Unreasonable Goals is a partnership between governments, multinationals, and Unreasonable Group with the singular focus of accelerating our ability to achieve these noteworthy goals by leveraging market forces.
We are supporting the most effective entrepreneurial solutions in the world towards each of the Global Goals and wrapping them with the mentorship, financing, government relations, and global network needed to scale worldwide faster.
We are privileged to work with our partners as the 17th goal of this program.
We have amazing mentors coming to help these companies scale up their operations.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Every year, more than $120B is spent in international development assistance, yet this system has yet to produce the game-changing results we all know are needed. Unreasonable Goals is designed to bring new problem solvers to the table: highly profitable entrepreneurs with cutting edge technologies that can measurably dent the Global Goals.
With Unreasonable Goals, we will be running a two-week program annually through 2030. The inaugural gathering was in July of 2017. Each year thereafter, we will bring together 17 highly scalable entrepreneurial solutions; each uniquely positioned to solve one of the 17 goals. After running the initiative for 13 years, we will have worked with over 200 of the fastest growing and most promising entrepreneurs of our time, we will have partnered with dozens of multinationals and 13 national governments. This is where the real impact of the initiative comes into play. It’s this collective global network that we believe will have the ability to impact not just millions, but billions of lives. And it is this network that we are looking to arm with the resources and connections to help ensure we achieve the Global Goals by 2030.
George Bernard Shaw is famous for saying, “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable person.” If George Bernard Shaw is right and all progress depends on the unreasonable person, then we cannot afford not to bet on the world’s most Unreasonable people. In this partnership we are supporting the most thrifty, resourceful, creative, disruptive, and unreasonable class amongst us: entrepreneurs. We are betting on entrepreneurs who are betting on the importance of solving the 17 Global Goals. We hope you will join us.
Unreasonable Goals is run by our team at Unreasonable Group, an organization dedicated to driving resources to and breaking down barriers for entrepreneurs solving our most difficult and meaningful problem-sets. To date, our team at Unreasonable has launched a small portfolio of companies: Unreasonable Capital, UNREASONABLE.is, Unreasonable Media, and Unreasonable at Sea in addition to working closely with their sister organizations at Unreasonable East Africa and Unreasonable Mexico. The Unreasonable Goals initiative is a perfect embodiment of the type of partnership Unreasonable Group is eager to launch, operate, and learn from.
We are hedging our bets on the true ‘black swans’ of our time: entrepreneurs who have significant market traction, that are working in our fastest emerging markets, and are positioned to measurably bend history in the right direction. Through our research and experience, we have come to believe that entrepreneurs often times are on the bleeding edge of new solutions to societal and environmental problems we formerly thought were unsolvable. The challenge is that while there are brilliant innovators and entrepreneurs (and many of their models are already working at scale in market), to achieve global scale they need investment, mentorship, exposure, and strategic partnerships. This is where Unreasonable Goals comes into focus. We are creating productive, genuine, and strategic partnerships between the world’s largest institutions and the world’s most impactful entrepreneurs.
We believe that when it comes to prioritizing the Global Goals, impatience is a virtue. The second program will kick off in November 2018 in Old Saybrook, Connecticut just a few hours north of New York City. The program will then run for 10 days with a private investor gathering at the end. If you are interested in joining the investor gathering at Old Saybrook on November 16, please send us your contact information in the “Get Involved” section below.
We scoured the globe for entrepreneurs we believe are best positioned to solve each of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. We were looking for ventures who are already providing a clear and direct benefit to hundreds of thousands if not millions of people and who are eager to take their effective solutions to global scale. Below is the basic selection criteria that we used:
- For-profit model: Every venture invited into the program is leveraging a for profit business model.
- Market traction: At minimum, we are working with companies who have raised or generated at least $1M to date. We are looking to scale already effective solutions. To this end, the average company participating in the program has already raised $22M USD.
- Highly scalable: We are scaling what works. We only invited ventures that we believe are setup to scale internationally and eventually globally.
- Commitment to a Global Goal: The CEO of each venture selected needed to demonstrate a clear commitment to solving one of the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
- Tracking impact: Each invited venture agreed to actively measure their impact on a specific global goal on a quarterly basis through 2030.
- Local teams: We only invited ventures where a majority of their team members live and work in the countries they operate.
- Logical Path to Achieving the Impossible: We invited entrepreneurs who challenge our conceptions of what we thought was possible in terms of impact, scale, business models, and growth. Simultaneously, we looked for a logical and convincing model to enter the market that matched this unguarded ambition.
- Unrelenting Dedication: We invited ventures whose leadership team demonstrated a clear conviction that they will stop at nothing to ensure they put a positive dent on history. We wanted to be convinced that the problem they are solving is baked into their DNA.
- Strong Beliefs Held Loosely: Although we were looking for entrepreneurs who are obsessed with the problems they are solving and who are very passionate about their models, approach, and technology, we wanted to also ensure that we only selected entrepreneurs who are willing to admit when they are wrong and who have the humility to be coached and mentored. We selected for a mix of confidence and humility.
- Dedication to a Global Goal: Ultimately, the reason this program exists is to rapidly accelerate the world’s ability to achieve the Global Goals by 2030. To this end, we only invited entrepreneurs who demonstrated an unruly dedication to solving a specific Sustainable Development Goal (and occasionally multiple).
We have designed the Unreasonable Goals around a desire to see measurable impact and learning across the 4 core themes below. As a learning organization stepping into a new frontier of entrepreneurship, financing, and development, we are taking a learner’s posture to everything we are doing. Our 4 objectives are:
- Increase the flow of investment dollars into solutions that are best positioned to solve the Global Goals by 2030.
- Accelerate the rapid-growth and scale of entrepreneurial solutions that are already effective and already in market.
- Establish public / private partnerships between the world’s largest institutions (governments, multinationals, and select foundation) with the world’s most impactful entrepreneurs to rapidly accelerate our ability to reach the Global Goals.
- See a short term and long term measurable impact for hundreds of millions of lives across our portfolio of select entrepreneurs between now and 2030.
Join us for our private investor gathering on Thursday, November 15th in Old Saybrook, Connecticut. This is an invitation only gathering. Please provide your email address and name in the form below under the Get Involved section and we will follow-up with details in the weeks to come.
We have already bridged partnerships with Johnson & Johnson as well as Lottery.com for the second program. If you are a multinational company committed to the Goals, please reach out to us directly about partnership. Just fill out the form for partnerships in the Get Involved section below and we will follow up right away to setup a call.
Whether you are a multinational company looking to learn from entrepreneurs who are opening up new markets with disruptive technologies, a policy maker looking to gain insights into how the public sector can best support fast growing startups positioned to solve societal challenges, or an investor looking for the next great innovation, Unreasonable Goals is about pathological collaboration. In short, we look forward to working with you. Please feel free to reach out below.